Saturday, March 17, 2007

Luck of the Irish

The "Luck of the Irish" broke the glass
Actually
she didn't seem lucky at all.

Reddish hair, true
Dimestore brand.

An inebriated college girl
Playing with a friend
Pushed back into
the door

"You're drunk," probably the words
spoken
in hot beer-breath on the side of a snowy street.

I headed to the door--
A scold upon my lips
First day solo at the Gallery;
The manager had warned me.

"Can't pay me enough to be in town
on St. Patty's Day."

Not fast enough
A second playful push--
The girl's low slung belt studs
Started the crack

It spiderwebbed--
popping.

Look of fear on the girl's face
as she and her friend stumbled down the sidewalk--
away
from responsibility.

I called to them.
A tall and heavy-set dark haired boy moved in,
their protector
or hopeful
admirer
waiting for the booze to dull rejection.

His arm around them
he guided them away, glaring at me.

What could I do?
Alone in the gallery.
They say the first time for things is always memorable...

I called the manager.
Then the posted number for the cops:
"BJ's Wholesale Club" they answered.
Memorable, yes.

20 minutes later
Police,
A bar manager
and landlord
converged on the sight.

My part done,
My information given
"That's an Irish name, isn't it? Somehow fitting."
I offer to walk into the neighboring bar--
Scout for the petty criminals.

I laughed, "They were wearing green and drunk--go figure."

The police laugh too,
Not much else to do.

I have issues with irresponsible creatures
and drunkards.

"You don't want to go into a bar today,"
one officer says.
"I don't even want to be a cop today,"
the other announces.

"My insurance will only go up," the landlord says.
"We'll just fix it--Probably won't file a full report."

He's an immigrant and surely not Irish.
"They busted my bar's door earlier."
He grins.
"But that was handled."

At least he'll make a profit selling green beers
to college kids today
Repairing the doors won't be much loss
for a bar on St. Patty's Day.

Good lord...
What would Patrick say?


~Saoirse

1 comment:

writerwoman said...

Stopping in to say hi. I hope the writing is going well.